Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hooray for California! Bout Damn Time!!

Last night was momentous. Although I was standing at work watching the news clear across the US, my heart was out for all my friends in California. Prop 8 was finally deemed unconstitutional. I spent the rest of the night remembering the past several years as I hoped for marriage equality. I remember standing in line for 14 hours at City Hall in San Francisco when they opened that small window for queer people to get married and how the mayor fought for us all. I remember all the hateful commercials...cheering along with the No on Prop 8 protesters as they stood outside my house day after day....I remember the day after the elections when they passed Prop 8 and the small group of us at work who are gay just couldn't handle being at work all met outside to just be in each others company and talk. I know none of us gave up hope.

And now my friends, all who are already married, can be legally married and have every single right as straight people. Oh sure, there may be appeals, but you can't stop us now - we WON.

No comments:

Post a Comment