Friday, September 3, 2010

You're Gay?! Nah....

My first day in California I walked onto my Grad school's campus and saw two gay men walking in public holding hands. Coming from the midwest I knew I was home. For seven years I never hid who I was. In fact, from the moment I came out, I didn't hide or deny the fact that I was a lesbian, I just was a bit more careful. However in the bay area, there wasn't that need to be careful - hell I was living right across the bay from San Francisco! So sometimes I think Virginia wasn't quite ready for me...and I wasn't quite ready for it.

So how does one very out little lesbian figure out the right time to come out at work, friends, etc? I know many people are quite comfortable with keeping the fact that they are gay private from some people, but sometimes I don't understand it if it won't mean your job (such as military). Every day I have to hear about who such and such had a date with, who they think is cute, their baby daddies and the fact that I can't contribute about who I had a date with, who I broke up with, who I think is cute, I find quite annoying and constricting. Being a lesbian may be one part of me, but it is an important part of me and I won't shut it out. So? What do I do? Well I stamp my damn car with pride stickers!! I think that's a good ice-breaker ;)

So I pose myself with the question over and over again...am I just too gay?!

No comments:

Post a Comment